United States officials have admitted a drone strike targeting a vehicle in Kabul last month killed as many 10 civilians, including seven children.
Salemreporters earlier reported that ten members of the same family, including children, were killed by the strike targeting a suicide bomber in Afghanistan.
The innocent civilians were killed when a car parked outside their home was hit by the drone strike on Sunday, which was targeting a vehicle thought to be carrying a member of ISIS-K – the Islamic State affiliate responsible for the Kabul airport terror attacks just days ago.
Zemaray Ahmadi, 36, was killed alongside his sons Zamir, Faisal and Farzad – aged 20, 16 and 12 respectively, while Emal Ahmadi said his two-year-old daughter Malika Ahmadi also died.
Six of Zemaray’s nieces and nephews were also killed – a boy and girl both aged two, girls aged five and seven, a six-year-old boy and a 28-year-old man.
Now the US has admitted it made a mistake, following troops withdrawal from Afghanistan.
US General Frank McKenzie, the head of US Central Command, told reporters on Friday:
“It was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology.”
US Central Command had immediately after the strike claimed it had destroyed an ISIS car bomb that posed an “imminent” threat to Kabul.
But on Friday Gen McKenzie added that he now believed that it unlikely that the vehicle hit or those who died were Islamic State militants or posed a direct threat to US. forces at Kabul’s airport.
Click here to see pictures of the victims.