At least 46 people were killed and more than 200 were wounded in the suicide attack in Kandahar today, October 15.
The targeted blast took place during Friday prayers, and has so far killed around 32 people and injured 53 others.
According to a report carried by NDTV, a doctor at the city’s central Mirwais hospital said, “Thirty-two bodies and 53 wounded people have been brought to our hospital so far.”
While the cause of the explosions was not immediately clear, there seems to be a pattern of targeting the Shiite community with such attacks.
Last Friday at least a 100 people were killed in a bomb attack on a Shia mosque in Kunduz city of Afghanistan.
That attack on the community was called the “bloodiest assault since US forces left the country.”
The Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid had then said an unknown number of people had been killed and injured when “an explosion took place in a mosque of our Shiite compatriots” in Kunduz.
This Friday, the community has been targeted again, and various news reports are hinting at a high death toll, adding that the ambulances were rushing to and from the scene and that “the mosque’s Facebook account made an appeal for blood donations.”
According to Afghanistan’s Tolo News, “Three back-to-back explosions hit the mosque, one of the biggest in Kandahar city.” Friday is a day of the busiest congregational prayers. Though no group has reportedly claimed responsibility yet, last week ISIS-K (Khorasan faction) claimed responsibility for the Kunduz mosque attack.